Tackled Week 1!

 

September 30, 2020


Week One Done!

It’s been an interesting week…every day experiencing different things. I must say, I almost feel guilty for not feeling worse. Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t felt very good, but I was truly expecting to feel horrible. The week started with a chemo infusion on Tuesday. Mentally, I just had to brace myself for symptoms I thought would arise. The first three days I was wracked with insomnia. Anyone who knows me, knows that I do not have problems sleeping. I am usually out within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow – I never have been able to read in bed! LOL. The doctor and a few friends say that the insomnia is caused by the heavy dose of steroids I received in my IV and the three days of oral steroid that followed.

Once that got out of my system, I have been able to sleep – a LOT. I’d say that fatigue is the biggest symptom I was facing until about Friday when I started having terrible cramps in my lower digestive tract. I’m talking full body sweats the cramps are so bad.

STILL…I am not vomiting (thank you, Lord!).

There’s a lot of peripheral numbness – all over – even my eyeballs, my tongue  – no sensitivity.

A thought came to me this week about the process of chemo. It’s killing off a million things in my body – the good stuff and the bad. I think I will look at this as a full body clean out. I am going to do all I can to feed good stuff back in during chemo, but I won’t be putting bad stuff in like I’ve done in the past. Clean eating is supposed to be the best diet for someone on chemo. I’ll get that habit going and just keep it. At this point, I tried wine and it tastes like I put aluminum foil in my mouth. What? Yes, I was kind of sad…but at the same time… keeping to the “clean” theme, I can let it go.

Home Bound

Let me tell you…it stinks being trapped at home mostly due to the COVID virus. Yesterday, I got the results from my most recent bloodwork. Very low white blood cells (expected) which means I have to be extremely careful about exposure to ANYTHING that could make me sick.  Food has to be fully cooked, no fresh flowers (pollen in them can be bad for me??), everyone around me must wear a mask, no going anywhere in public (this call came AFTER my funny story below).

I’ve got a jigsaw puzzle started and lots of shows queued up on Netflix!

This happened! I am so blessed! Bruce arranged delivery as a surprise! (hint...How to get a new recliner?...occupy your husband's for more than 2 hours! wink, wink!)


They had flowers, too!


Friends and Family

I am truly blessed to have wonderful friends. I have been blessed with uplifting messages and phone calls, food, errands, deliveries and more! This week my mom and Rick arrive back in Texas from their summer home in Minnesota. I am thankful that she will be here to walk alongside me. She’s a great nurse/caretaker…as long as you do as she says! Hahahaha! If not, “Hello, Nurse Ratched!” Anyone watching that on Netflix yet? CrEEEEEpy!


Funny Story for the Week

We were back in Lovelady Wednesday for a gravel delivery. I do love it there. As I wrote this, I was sitting in the Gator in the middle of the field. Ahhhhhh! Something about being outside in the sunshine, just makes me feel better.


This morning we made a quick trip to Crockett to get our new trailer inspected (that was a fail). In contrast, breakfast at Rosemary’s Hilltop Café is NEVER a fail. You might ask why I am going out in public. Well, it’s Crockett, TX, Houston County…virtually NO COVID cases and if you saw the clientele at Rosemary’s, you would know that these ranchers and farmers haven’t been anywhere near anything “COVID.”

Anyway, when we got to Rosemary’s I had to use the lady’s room which happens to be in a remote corner of the building around the corner and through the banquet room at the back. I go in, do my business, wash my hands and turn to open the door…unlock, turn the knob…nothing. The door is not budging. I try again and again. Nothing. My purse and phone are at the table with Bruce.

I start knocking, no…banging… on the door and yelling that I am stuck in the bathroom! Finally, the cook from the kitchen heard me and tried to get me out by using a knife…no luck. I sent her to get Bruce. He, of course, is thinking that I have gotten sick. He also tried the knife…but nope, he told me to stand back, and just kicked the door off the frame. Oh my goodness. The whole thing was hilarious. Breakfast was delightful!

That’ll probably be my last trip out to eat (or anything) for a while. I’m glad it was a knee slapper!

A Bit of History

Across the street from Rosemary’s is one of the creepiest abandoned buildings I’ve ever seen. It looks like something that would appear in American Horror Story – remember the Asylum season?!


This is Mary Allen College. The most significant historical fact is that it was the first school/college committed to educating freed black women when it opened in 1886. It began as a parochial school, but was converted into an accredited junior college. The city of Crockett has aspirations to renovate this building into a museum honoring the founders of the school. I love this stuff!

Comments

Claire Fesler said…
Love this post! Glad you’re feeling fairly well, momma! You’re so awesome! Oh also... I’ll take the leftover wine! Lol
Romasa Aftab said…
So glad you’re feeling good and becoming more healthy ❤️
osterman.laurie@gmail.com said…
Wow, it sounds like you are just chatting away. Great writing! Prayers for sleep and killing of the right stuff and clear mind for you. Thank you for sharing all of it. Laurie
Bruce said…
wink wink!!! Back atcha honey on the recliner.....
Mitzy Camp said…
Lol, this cracked me up! Keep up the good spirits.
Sambo said…
Hey Dish! Rosemary's is owne by the Matthew's I believe and Darrell and I used to work together.

Popular Posts